Saturday 7 January 2006

Seeing the wood for the trees

Hooray! I am unstuck on my current book.

Taking the anaology of a a story being a journey for the writer a little further, I feel like I was trying to scale a very steep hill on a push bike. It was a hard slog to get anywhere and all I could see in front of me was the mountainous slope. I find the only way I can get through it is to write, think, write some more, think some more - you get the idea.

Anyway, while I am not freewheeling down the hill yet, I'm on a flat stretch (a wooded area, I think). I can see the next few landmarks up ahead and it's just a case of keeping my feet turning the pedals as I pass each one. In non-Fiona speak, this means I know what's happening in my story for the next chapter or two. I may not know every little detail, but I know the main events and it's a case of joining the dots.

I always love the feeling when I look back at a scene after I've written it and think, "Ah, that's the way it happened." Before I write it, I have an outline in my head, but doing the actual writing adds colour and texture and depth.

So, back in the saddle again now. Praying fervently I don't get a puncture...

No comments: