Tuesday 14 February 2006

Valentine's Day

I awoke to my traditional Valentine's Day breakfast this morning. My hubby insists on getting croissants and strawberries every year. Yum.

And I got 'Pride and Prejudice' on DVD. Also yum.

I live fairly close to Groombridge Place, the location used as the Bennet family home in the film. And, lo and behold, in July 2004 when we were taking the kids on a day out we visited Groombridge where they have The Enchanted Forest in the grounds (Cowboy forts, Indian camps, Goblin villages, birds of prey etc. See the Groombridge site for more). I noticed a film crew at the front of the house, and when I discovered they were filming a new film version of P&P there I got totally over-excited!

I could have stayed all day peering at the goings on. I could see the actors from across the moat (the picture shows roughly where I spied from), but not close enough to tell who was who. It wasn't until I got home I realised I'd watched Kiera Knightly and Donald Sutherland among others.

So now, every time I watch the scene where Jane drives away from Longbourne with all her family waving goodbye to her on the steps, I can think to myself, "I was there! I watched them do that!". I'm so chuffed.

No comments: